#RyersonSA (General)

What's your philosophy of education? What does education mean to you?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Rachel Barreca Rachel Barreca 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Sarena Johnson
    Keymaster

What’s your “philosophy of education”? What does education mean to you? What does a good “system” of education look like?
    It seems like something we rarely talk about but in SA it likely underlines how and why we do what we do.

Rachel Barreca
    Rachel Barreca
    Participant

This is a hard one. Must think.

Winnie the Pooh thinking hard

John Hannah
    John Hannah
    Participant

I actually think it’s amazing (and perhaps appalling) that we don’t discuss this enough. I mean, really – we should be declaring often what we think about education, we should be leading with that in our interactions. “Hi, I’m John and I believe in education as the primary force for a more peaceful world but worry that it has been co-opted for other, more nefarious purposes by the forces of neoliberalism, nice to meet you”.

Rachel Barreca
    Rachel Barreca
    Participant

“Hi, John. I’m Rachel and I see education as a means of liberation from tyranny, an access point into a world of critical thinking and holistic, healthy living, and carries the potential to be preparation for life as a loving global citizen. Nice to meet you, too.”

Sarena Johnson
    Keymaster

Awesome answer Rachel.

John Hannah
    John Hannah
    Participant

You seem awesome Rachel. We should work/teach together.

Rachel Barreca
    Rachel Barreca
    Participant

Yes. Let’s. Shall we? 🙂

What do you want to teach?

John Hannah
    John Hannah
    Participant

A new course called “Reclaiming Education” or…”Understanding Education Through Music”

Sarena Johnson
    Keymaster

To me we have a responsibility to share our gifts and knowledges. Those knowledges can help others so they’re not things we can own or hoard. But that questions the whole system of paying for school – a touchy subject since that also pays my salary!

Rachel Barreca
    Rachel Barreca
    Participant

You had me and Understanding Education Through Music.

REALLY?!

I know what we’re talking about the next time we go for lunch!!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.