#RyersonSA (General)

Book club

This topic contains 11 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Christina Halliday Christina Halliday 1 year ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Tesni Ellis
    Tesni Ellis
    Keymaster

What are you reading, SA?

Troy Murray
    Troy Murray
    Participant

The last book I read was The Happiness Equation, which I highly recommend. Next up will be a recommendation from Andrew Pettit from Recreation, who suggested Parenting Beyond Pink & Blue: How to Raise Your Kids Free of Gender Stereotypes.

Rudhra Persad
    Rudhra Persad
    Participant

I usually just do class readings but I just ordered my first book not related to class since 2011. It’s called Brown: What Being Brown in the World Today Means (to Everyone). It’s by Ryerson Journalism Professor Dr. Kamal Al-Solaylee.

Fenella Amarasinghe
    Fenella Amarasinghe
    Participant

Hey, I’ve read that, Rudhra! We can chat about it sometime.

In addition to M.Ed readings, I’m currently reading a biography on Sri Lanka which I purchased the last time I was in Colombo in hopes of digging into my ancestral cartographies. Very interesting. It is written by a French historian, so it’s more of an observation than a deep consideration of the ways epistemologies and ontologies have shaped the nation.

John Hannah
    John Hannah
    Participant

I’m reading all the things Fenella sends me. And also, Reshaping the University by Rauna Kuokkanen, which is a pretty scathing critique of current structures of higher education and a fierce re-consideration of those structures based on what she calls “The Logic of the Gift”. Pretty interesting. And here in my office if anyone wants to read it. I also read the sports section as one of my escapes

Rudhra Persad
    Rudhra Persad
    Participant

Damn! Wish I had known that before I paid money for it! Could have borrowed yours! 🙂

Rachel Barreca
    Rachel Barreca
    Participant

Almost finished “Hunger”, Roxane Gay’s memoir, which is powerful. She talks about her experience with sexual assault and how that has shaped her body and relationship with it.

Also been reading “Strong Helper’s Teachings” by Cyndy Baskin and about to start John’s copy of “Reshaping the University”. 🙂

Sarena Johnson
    Keymaster

John that sounds great I’d like to borrow it. I got to take a class of Rauna’s in my undergrad and she’s fantastic. I’m reading some books for school right now though. Taking Back Our Spirits: Indigenous Literature, Public Policy and Healing by Jo-Ann Episkenew and Dancing On Our Turtle’s Back by Leanne Simpson.

Rachel Barreca
    Rachel Barreca
    Participant

Leanne’s book is really powerful. We should do a book club in RyersonSA for that book. 😀

Deena Shaffer
    Deena Shaffer
    Participant

“Kaandossiwin: How We Come to Know” by Kathy Absolon; stunning. “The Poisonwood Bible,” my first Barbara Kingsolver. And Elaine Langer, “Mindful Learning.” Also Gass and Bell’s article, “The State of Knowledge of Outdoor Orientation Programs” is on my desk. Nice q Tes!

Sarah Thompson
    Sarah Thompson
    Participant

Heady stuff y’all. I’m reading “Persepolis Rising” by James S. A. Corey. Great space opera and total escapism!

Christina Halliday
    Christina Halliday
    Participant

“Barney’s Version”–reconnecting with my CanLit roots and going through some Giller Prize winners. Never read Mordecai Richler before. Finding the ‘fictional memoir’ genre quite wonderful…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.